T. KAREEM POWELL
Instruments: Piano. (main) Saxophone and clarinet. (Limited)
T. Kareem Powell
PO Box 416
Miamisburg, OH 45343-0416
Send email for phone number.
Masters of Music. Music Theory. Indiana University (2001)
Bachelors of Science. Music Education. Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (1998)
REGULAR MUSICAL ACTIVITIES:
Owner, Sunstrike Entertainment LLC. Administers publishing rights to albums. Recorded New Age piano album "Reflections in Black and White."
Freelance. Substitute with various other ensembles. Accompanist for singers and instrumentalists. Background music for parties, receptions, and corporate events. Classical, jazz, ragtime, and musical theatre.
"Reflections in Black and White." New Age solo piano album featuring Kareem Powell. Released under Sunstrike Entertainment LLC (2011)
Ryman Auditorium. (Nashville) Debut. Accompanied national recording artist Jimmy Wayne (country) on the Tuesday Night Opry broadcast. (December 11, 2012.)
Grand Ole Opry House. (Nashville) Debut. Accompanied national recording artist Jimmy Wayne (country) on the Tuesday Night Opry broadcase on his song "How JEsus Felt." Standing ovation. (September 18, 2012.)
WORKED WITH: Andy Avery, Bruce Anthony Davis, Olivia Detante, David Dusing, Nat Horne, Marhsall Jones, Linda Lloyd, Sheila Ramsey, Vaneese Thomas, Jimmy Wayne
MUSICAL DIRECTION AND LEADERSHIP:
Coordinator of Music Ministry. St. Anthony Parish. (Madisonville) 6104 Desmond Ave. Cincinnati, OH. Plans musical component to services. Direct and accompany choir. (2010-2011)
President. Dayton Musicians Association. American Federation of Musicians (AFM) Local 101-473. Represents the needs of over 200 local musicians, including Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra and traveling union acts passing through local jurisdiction. Attends regional and national conferences. (2007-2011)
During tenure as President of Local 101-473:
- I served on the Public Relations Committee for the 98th AFM Convention in Las Vegas. (June 2010)
- The working relationship between the Dayton Musicians Association and the Players Committee of the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra has been lauded by AFM Negotiators and International Representatives as a model for other local offices and orchestra musician representatives to follow.
- The Dayton Musicians Association and the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra musicians hosted the 2009 Regional Orchestra Players Association (ROPA) Conference in DAyton, OH. (25th Anniversary)
- The Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra Players Committee and Local 101-473 Officers were on the cover and profiled in the feature article of the International Musician. (August 2007)
- Youth Member Saxophonist Tyrone Martin was presented the 2007 AFM Youth Diversity Award at the 97th AFM National Convention in Las Vegas.
Minister of Music. St. Andrew Catholic Church. 3401 Reading Rd. Cincinnati, OH. Plans musical component to services. Directs, accompanies, and arranges for Gospel choir. Assembles band for special occasions. (2007-2010)
Musical Director (Theatre): Provided overall musical direction and coordination with directorial staff and cast. Assembled orchestra. Led cast and orchestra rehearsals. Coached soloists. Primary accompanist. Led orchestra for performances.
- Co-Director. "An Evening of Musical Memories" (Musical Theatre Revue) Playhouse South. (Dayton) Arranged choral and orchestral parts in addition to previously specified duties.
- Musical Director. "Guys and Dolls" Playhouse South. (2004)
- Musical Director. "The Bubbly Black Girl Sheds Her Chameleon Skin." Dayton Playhouse. (2004)
- From "Reflections in Black and White." New Age solo piano album. Kareem Powell. Sunstrike Entertainment LLC. (2011) BMI. Original tracks below:
- Let's Remember
- Louisa (dedicated to Louisa, KY and Fort Gay, WV)
- Mr. Cool (in memory of guitarist Paul Keith)
- Georgia (in memory of Georgia Cobler)
- I Call on You
- Take It Away
- Zoraida (named for Zoraida Williams)
- Piano Keys
- Demons in My Head
- The Sun Will Rise Again Someday
- "I Wonder as I Wander" (Christmas Carol) by John Jacob Niles (1933). SSAATTBB with Tenor Solo. A Cappella. (December 2012)
- "Soon I Will Be Done" (with the Troubles of the World) (Negro Spiritual) SSAATTBB with Alto Solo. A Cappella. Dedicated to Bradley Jonathan Powell and Calvin Joseph Powell III. (February 27, 2012)
- "Are You Ever Gonna Love Me" by Chris Lindsey, Aimee Mayo, and Marv Green. [2000 Songs of Nashville Dream Works (BMI)/Chris Lindsey Music (BMI).] Arranged February 2013 in C minor and G minor.
- From "Reflections in Black and White." New Age solo piano album. Kareem Powell. Sunstrike Entertainment LLC (2011)
- (I Want Jesus to) Walk with Me. (Negro Spiritual)
- Londonderry Air (Traditional)
- Deep River (Negro Spiritual)
Chorus Rehearsal Accompanist. Dayton Opera production of Porgy and Bess. (Fall 2010)
Theatre Accompanist: Accompanist during rehearsals. Pianist at performances. General assistant to music director. Often coordinated music between directorial staff. Occasionally coached soloists.
- "Grease" Catholic Central High School. Springfield, OH. (2005)
- "Babes in Arms." Theatre under the Stars. Kettering, OH. (2005)
- "Lil' Abner" Theatre under the Stars. Kettering, OH. (2004)
- "The Sound of Music" Playhouse South. Miamisburg, OH. (2003)
- "Baby" Playhouse South. Miamisburg, OH. (2002)
- "Five Guys Named Moe" Dayton Playhouse. Dayton, OH. (2001)
- "Eubie" Theatre under the Stars. Kettering, OH. (2001)
- "Dream Girls" Col. White High School for the Arts. Dayton, OH. (1999). Director: Sheila Ramsey. Guest Artist: Linda Lloyd (from original Broadway production)
- "Damn Yankees" Muse Machine. Dayton, OH. (1999) Directors: David Dusing. Nat Horne.
- Also familiar with: "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", "Gypse", "Ain't Misbehavin'", "Annie, Get Your Gun", "The 1940's Radio Hour", "Little Shop of Horrors", "Mame", "Amahl and the Night Visitors"
MORE FEATURED PERFORMANCES:
Featured Lounge Pianist. Dayton Philharmonic Gala. Benjamin and Marian Schuster Center. Second and Main Streets. Dayton, OH. (October 2010)
Classical recital with Dayton Music Club. Dayton Art Institute (2008)
Classical recital. Hauer Music Store (2007)
Opening Act (with Deron Bell and Jazz for You) for Phil Perry concert. Frank Ware Banquet Center. (October 2006)
PAST MUSICAL ACTIVITIES:
Recitals. Active member of the Dayton Music Club. Soloist/accompanist. (2007-2009)
Pianist. Eddie Brookshire Big Band. 19-piece jazz orchestra. Both contemporary and traditional standards with Ballad, Latin, and Swing styles. (2001-2008)
Keyboard. Phillips Temple CME Church. Praise band, Mosaic Services. 3620 Shiloh Springs Rd. Trotwood, OH. (2008)
Keyboard. Reginald Harmon and JamMen. Four piece. Smooth jazz and R&B. (2007-2008)
Pianist. Roderick Wilson and Sun Star. Five piece combo with occasional voice. Gospel music performed in a jazz style. (2002-2006)
Keyboard. Todd Mullins Group. Five piece combo. Smooth jazz oriented with R&B and Pop Ballads. (2005)
Pianist. Sinclair Community College Jazz Combo. Traditional standards read off lead sheets. (2003-2005)
Indiana University Concert Band. Alto Saxophone and Bass Clarinet. (2000-2001)
Florida A&M University Jazz Band. Piano. (1995-1998)
Florida A&M Concert Choir and University Singers. Vice President (1997-1998). Accompanist on 1997 Spring Tour and to HBCU Choral Competition in Las Vegas. (1997) Performed in Washington, D.C., New York City, St. Thomas, Virigin Islands, and selected stops in Florida. (1995-1998)
Florida A&M University Recital Soloist and Accompanist. Accompanied vocalists, instrumentalists, and percussion ensemble on a number of recitals and juries. (1995-1998)
American Federation of Musicians. Local 101-473. Dayton, OH. (Dayton Musicians Association.)
HONORS AND RECOGNITIONS:
Delegate to 98th AFM National Convention. Dayton Musicians Association. Local 101-473. (2007)
Dayton Music Club. Accepted into Active Membership. (2007)
International Musician. Cover and feature article. Mention for helping to improve relationship between Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra and Dayton Musicians Association. (August 2007)
Delegate to 97th AFM National Convention. Dayton Musicians Association. Local 101-473. (2007)
2005 DayTony Award of Merit for Musical Direction. Playhouse South production "An Evening of Musical Memories." (2005)
Delegate to 96th AFM National Convention. Dayton Musicians Association. Local 101-473. (2005)
Superior in Production for Musical Direction. for "Guys and Dolls." Playhouse South. (2004)
Associate Instructor of Music Theory. Indiana University School of Music. (1999-2001)
Second Place, College Freshman Category. Debose National Piano Competition. Southern University. (1996)
Life-Gets-Better Scholarship. Florida A&M University. (1995)
Adjunct Faculty. Central State University. Department of Fine and Performing Arts. Jazz piano and keyboard harmony. Class Piano. (2009-2010)
Ohio Teacher Certification. Music Grades 7-12.
Associate Instructor. Indiana University School of Music. Freshman written and aural skills. Diatonic and chromatic harmony. Counterpoint. Sight-singing. Harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic dictation. Rudiments. (1999-2001)
Student Teacher. Jean Ribault Senior High School. Jacksonvillie, FL. Marching band and choir. (1998)
Basic conversational Spanish.